Here are a few statistics about maternal deaths in the United States:
• The United States currently ranks 60th in the world for maternal mortality. That means that at least 59 other
countries have lower maternal death rates than we do, and that is just counting the deaths that are reported.
• Every 2 minutes, a mother in the United States dies from pregnancy or childbirth related complications.
• The United States spends more money than any other country in the world on pregnancy and childbirth, yet we
have more maternal deaths than any other developed country in the world.
• African American mothers are 4 times more likely to die in childbirth than caucasian women.
• Hispanic women are 1.6 times more likely to die in childbirth than non-hispanic white women.
• There has been no reduction in the maternal mortality rate in the US since 1982.
The quilt travels around the country in the hope that the more people who see it, the higher the awareness will be of this growing problem.