What is Bengkung belly binding?
Bengkung belly binding comes from Malaysia and is traditionally used to aid women in healing after childbirth. It is done by wrapping and twisting a long piece of cloth around the abdomen in a manner that helps to provide proper pressure and support.
Bengkung belly binding provides many great benefits to women who are in their postpartum period.
Postpartum belly binding can:
- Help women to slim down after childbirth
- Decrease postpartum bleeding
- Provide postural support and reeducate muscles that were working differently during pregnancy
- Decrease back pain and prevent slouching
- Assist in getting organs back in their proper places
- Facilitate better circulation
- Assist in healing the diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles)
- Prevent that "falling out" feeling that a lot of women get after giving birth
- Create a warm, cozy, secure feeling
- Provide an energetic closing to pregnancy and childbirth
Belly binding for pregnant women
While bengkung belly binding is most beneficial for postpartum women, some pregnant mamas can benefit from it as well. Pregnant mamas may need a longer wrap, and will not want to wrap it as tightly.
Belly binding during pregnancy can help to support a diastasis recti from a previous pregnancy if it wasn't healed before getting pregnant again. It can also help women to sit up straighter, thereby relieving some of the muscular pain resulting from postural changes during pregnancy. Belly binding is also great for mamas who have a pendulous belly, or a belly that kind of falls or tips forward. This is most common in women who have had multiple pregnancies, or are pregnant with multiple babies. It can be used as to assist the starting and stopping labor that can result from having a pendulous belly.
Belly binding when not pregnant or postpartum
Belly binding can be very beneficial for anyone who has undergone abdominal or back surgery. It can provide support for healing muscles and structures, and it provides a comforting pressure on the abdomen. This can help with gas pain after surgery (especially when combined with a hot pack on the upper back), and can help to make you feel more secure. It is not uncommon for people who have had abdominal surgery to feel like they will open up and spill out with every cough, sneeze, or laugh. Belly binding can help counteract that feeling.
Bengkung belly binding service
So, what do you get when you request the belly binding service at Women's Massage Therapy? For $125, you will receive the following:
- A belly binder like the one pictured at right. You can choose between plain white, or colorful fabric.
- A bottle of oil to warm and nourish the skin on your belly before binding.
- A home visit (or in my office if you prefer) where you and a partner will learn the art of Bengkung belly binding. Please leave 1-2 hours for the initial visit.
- One optional additional home (or office) visit if you need extra assistance. This visit is shorter than the original one.