For the next installment in my Benefits of Massage Therapy series, I want to talk a little bit about infant massage.
As an infant massage instructor, I teach parents and caregivers how to massage their babies. Infant massage has many benefits, not only for the babies, but for the person doing the massage.
Benefits for Babies
The benefits of massage for babies can be broken down into 4 categories; relief, stimulation, interaction, and relaxation. Let's take a look at what kinds of benefits fall under those categories.
• Gas and constipation
• Growing pains
• Teething discomfort
• Psychological tension
• Language development
• Muscle development
• Sensory integration
• Mind/body awareness
• All Systems of the body
• Encourages verbal/nonverbal communication skills
• Introduces positive, nurturing touch
• Provides one-on-one time
• Promotes feelings of:
• Improves sleep patterns
• Improves the ability to calm oneself
• Reduces levels of stress hormones
• Decreases hyperactivity and hypersensitivity
Benefits for parents/caregivers, families, and society*
• Decrease in stress hormones
• Improved sleep
• Stimulation of lactation
• Decrease in symptoms of depression
• Achieving a better understanding of your baby
• Promotion of bonding and attachment
• More involvement for parents who work full time and don't get as many opportunities to spend time with their babies
• Quality time
• Better sleep for everyone
• Decrease in sibling rivalry
• More relaxed environment
• Increased respect
• Increase in respect and empathy
• Reduction of national health costs due to a healthier society
• Reduction of:
* Societal impacts are based on studies that have been done in cultures where infant massage is more prevalent.
To learn more about my infant massage course, with a description of the class structure. Visit my page on infant massage.
All Advocacy Aromatherapy Birth Doula Booklist Color Therapy Fertility Health And Wellness Infant Massage Massage Therapy Menstruation Placenta Services Postpartum Massage Postpartum Services Pregnancy Prenatal Massage Reiki Research/Information Services
Women's Massage Therapy has been providing quality services to women and families in Chicago and the North Shore since 2011. Come in for a relaxing massage therapy or Reiki session, or develop a treatment plan to target specific concerns. New parents and pregnant individuals can choose between pregnancy, labor, and postpartum massage therapy options, find a birth doula, take infant massage classes and more! NEW virtual options available for all services.
All sessions done by appointment only. No walk-ins please!
Review us on:
636 Church St. Suite 505
(5th floor of the Carlson Building)
Evanston, IL 60201
Hours of Operation
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Proudly powered by Weebly